June 3:A resolution was passed which appointed Mr. William Colbert as the acting Dean of COE. It took effect ten days after its passing, thereby creating the UP College of Engineering.
September 1910: The O'brien's residence, a two-storey building at the corner of Isaac Peral (now United Nations Avenue) and Florida (now Maria Y. Orosa) streets in Ermita, Manila where the engineering classes were held the, was formally turned over to the college.
Due to curricula innovation on years 1913-1914 resulting to significant increase in the number of students, the then Dean Clarence G. Wrentmore recommended the institution of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering courses in keeping with the industrial development of the country.
January 10: The Board of Regents approved the curricula leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mining Engineering.
Establishment of degree of Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mining Engineering.
After classes closed for Christmas recess in 1948, the University moved to the Diliman campus which heretofore had been occupied by the U.S. Army. The College of Engineering was assigned to occupy the Quonset huts and temporary buildings in the blocks bounded by North Avenue, North 1st street, Broadway and Bataan Road (presently known as Osmeña Avenue, G. Apacible, Magsaysay Avenue, and Emilio Jacinto Street respectively).
In the Diliman Campus, despite the fact that most students commuted from Manila (at that time via España, Sta. Mesa, and Katipunan Road), the enrolment in the University steadily increased. The University then started the huge construction program of college building, laboratories, dormitories and other facilities. The construction of the Engineering building on the north side of the Campus was begun in 1949 along with other buildings.
The College moved into the new four-storey building along Osmeña Avenue, a mirror image of the Liberal Arts Building across the University Quadrangle.
The radio broadcasting station, DZUP, and the Electronics Communications Laboratory, DUIUP, was set atop the engineering building. The station and the laboratory provided training to electrical engineering students as well as serve the University for disseminating information of its activities to the public.
Large quantities of equipment for the various laboratories, particularly for the Power Laboratory, Flotation Laboratory, Metallurgy Laboratory, Material Testing Laboratory, Electronics Laboratory, Chemical Engineering Laboratory, Hydraulics Laboratory, and Soil Mechanics Laboratory were received as FOA aid.
September 7: The ICA-NEC-sponsored program, which was an Electronics Training Project for instructors in electronic courses, was conducted.
During the 1963 UP Alumni Engineers Homecoming, the Engineering Building was named Melchor Hall in honor of the late Col. Alejandro Melchor.
1974 and the 80s
The UP Alumni Engineers donated funds necessary for the furnishing of the German Yia Hall in 1974. (The late German Yia belonged to the Mechanical Engineering Class of 1928)
In the 80's, the whole department of Electrical Engineering moved to Yia Hall. The solar lab was then established there, and the EE Power Laboratory transferred there as well.
The Department of Electrical Engineering was renamed the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (DEEE) and started offering the Electronics and Communications Engineering (ECE) and Computer Engineering (CoE) programs.
In 2001, the department transferred to its current location along Velasquez St. except for the Solar and Power Laboratories.
Dr. Manuel Ramos, Jr., who was then the Department Chair, championed the transition of Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering to an Institute.
In 2009, with the Yia Hall structure completely demolished to give way for the construction of the ME/IE Building, the Power Laboratory was eventually transferred to the new building.
On one hand, Dr. Joel Joseph Marciano, Jr. was named as the Institute's first director. He served as director until March 2015.
He was succeeded by Dr. John Richard Hizon and Dr. Michael Angelo Pedrasa.
With the leadership of the incumbent director, Dr. Lew Andrew Tria (August 2022), the UP EEE Institute is now gearing to be a national institute― an organization with a national scope, mandate, and character.