Q1. What are the criteria in evaluating graduate applicants?
A1: Grade Average: 60%
Letter of Recommendation: 20%
Additional points may be given for job experience:
- For any work experience: (If non-supervisory: +1 point per year up to +5 points total; If supervisory: +5 points)
- For teaching position within a university: +1 point per year up to +5 points total
- For research and development (R&D) positions: +2.5 points per year up to +5 points total
Note: Points for teaching and R&D are credited on top of the points for work experience, i.e., a candidate will get up to 15 additional points for a supervisory position with 5 years teaching and 2 years R&D experience.
A maximum of +2 points may be given for passing a professional licensure examination. Civil Service exams will not be considered.
The total score accumulated by the candidate will be evaluated as follows:
- Applicants who score 60% or better in the above evaluation may be accepted as degree students.
- Applicants who score lower than 60% will not be accepted but are advised to reapply in the following semesters, bearing in mind that their scores in the essay or additional points for relevant work experience may improve their chances in the future.
Q2. What is the grade requirement to remain in good standing in EEEI graduate program?
A2: For masters program, a student must maintain a Cumulative Weighted Average Grade (CWAG) of "2.0" or better in his/her course work at the end of each academic year until the completion of the Program of Study. For doctoral program, a student must maintain a CWAG of "1.75" or better in his/her course work at the end of each academic year until the completion of the Program of Study.
Q3: I want to get an MS degree but there are slots only for the MEng program. Can I transfer to the MS program after I get admitted into the MEng program?
A3: Transfer from one program to another is only allowed when the student's GWA is higher than the minimum required for his/her target program and when there are slots available in his target program.
Q4: How do I get readmitted into the program if I got low grades the past semester (i.e. my average is below 2.0, and I'm unable to register this semester)?
A4: As early as possible, write a letter of appeal addressed to the "Graduate Readmission Committee, EEE Institute" and file it to the graduate office. They will forward your letter along with your records to the readmission committee for evaluation. Follow-up on your appeal with the graduate office.
Q5. What is the maximum allowable units for part-time/full-time students per semester?
A5. The maximum allowable units for part time students is 6 units, and 12 units for full time students.